Friday, November 9, 2012

jewelry armoire

A fun, ongoing project I've been working on this year is organizing my jewelry.  I've searched for the perfect jewelry armoire for a long time but I have been disappointed with the lack of compartments, hooks and space they had.  So instead of purchasing one already made, I decided to make my own!

I found this beautiful, tall, armoire with 6 shallow shelves (9"x14") at a local antique shop here in Hawaii.  I love the height, style and exterior design of it.  It also has the ability to be locked, which is a feature I desperately wanted but couldn't find on any other armoire.

The first thing I did was take off the doors and add black velvet to them.  I also took out the top shelf in order to hang necklaces and added black velvet to that area as well.  

Then I added inexpensive gold hooks to the doors as well as inside for necklaces.  And I added gold decorative chain to the doors to hang my dangly earrings from.


I found black velvet lined trays with already made compartments at a local jewelry-making supply store.  I also found black velvet display structures for my bracelets and rings.

The necklace carousels were hard to find.  I located them at a home organizing store and leaped for joy when I spotted them!  They spin and can hold a lot of necklaces.  I have three carousels in the armoire.


Lastly, I added touch lights to the ceilings of some of the shelves.  I plan on adding a few more.  I also want to add drawer slides to the trays to have the ability to slide them out smoothly.  But like I said, this is still a project, but I felt it has come far enough along to be able to share it with you.

The armoire holds 40 necklaces, 36 rings, plenty of bracelets, and has all the compartments I need.  

I hope this inspires you to create one yourself, since I know we all want a beautiful home for all of our lovely treasures!  

No comments:

Post a Comment